Twitter’s rate limit has become a source of frustration for many users since it was implemented. Fortunately, there are several ways to bypass this limit and regain unrestricted access to the platform. In this article, we will explore seven different methods that you can try. Please note that these methods are not guaranteed to work in every situation, as the rate limit is set by the server. However, they are worth a shot if you’re tired of encountering the rate limit error.
What is the New Twitter Rate Limit?
The exact reason behind the rate limit implementation remains unclear. It could be an attempt to reduce server load, maintain stability, or encourage users to get verified on Twitter. Regardless of the reason, the current rate limits on Twitter are as follows:
- 500 posts for new unverified accounts.
- 1000 posts for old unverified accounts.
- 10,000 posts for verified accounts.
If you are a new user without the blue verified badge, you will only be able to view 500 posts per day. Once you exceed the rate limit, you will encounter error messages such as “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time” or “Rate limit exceeded.” It’s no wonder why many users have turned to alternative platforms like Threads to avoid this annoyance.
How to Bypass Twitter Rate Limit?
There are multiple methods available to bypass the Twitter rate limit. However, it’s important to note that there is no guarantee that any particular method will work for you. You may need to try different methods until you find one that successfully bypasses the limit. Here are a few methods you can attempt:
1. Bypass Twitter Rate Limit Using Old Twitter Extension
If you primarily use Twitter on your desktop web browser, this method is worth a try. By using the Old Twitter Chrome extension, you can revert to the old Twitter layout, which does not have the rate limit restrictions. You can download the extension for Chrome, Edge, or Firefox. Follow these steps:
- Open the Google Chrome web browser and visit the Old Twitter Layout extension page.
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button on the extension page.
- Confirm the installation by clicking “Add Extension.”
- Once the extension is installed, open twitter.com to experience the old Twitter layout.
- Customize the old Twitter layout by clicking on the Old Twitter Layout extension icon and selecting “Open Settings.”
That’s it! You can now enjoy using Twitter without the rate limit interfering with your experience.
2. Bypass Twitter Rate Limit Using Opera GX Browser
Opera GX is a unique gaming web browser designed to provide an exceptional browsing and gaming experience on both desktop and mobile devices. This browser can bypass the Twitter rate limit without requiring any layout modifications. Follow these steps:
- Download the Opera GX Browser on your preferred web browser. You can also find the Opera GX browser on Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
- Install the browser and launch it.
- Visit the Twitter.com website and log in to your account.
Once you’ve logged in, you should be able to scroll through your Twitter feed without encountering any rate limit errors.
3. Bypass Twitter Rate Limit on Mobile
If you encounter the rate limit error while using the Twitter mobile app, the following steps may help you resolve the issue:
- If you’re experiencing the rate limit error on the mobile app, try accessing Twitter through a web browser. Conversely, if you encounter the problem on a web browser, consider using the official Twitter mobile app instead.
- If neither the web version nor the mobile app allows you to scroll through the feed, try downloading and installing the Opera GX web browser.
4. Install Twitter as Progressive Web App on Android
Most of the time, accessing the web version of Twitter eliminates the rate limit error. You can also try installing the Twitter website as a progressive web app on your Android smartphone. This lightweight app can easily bypass the Twitter rate limit. Follow these steps:
- Open the Google Chrome web browser on your smartphone.
- Visit Twitter.com and log in to your Twitter account.
- Tap the “three dots” icon at the top right corner and select “Install App.”
- Confirm the installation by tapping the “Install” button.
The progressive web app for Twitter will be installed on your phone and can be accessed from the home screen whenever you encounter the rate limit.
5. Install Twitter as Progressive Web App on iPhone
iPhone users can also install the Twitter progressive web app and bypass the rate limit. Here’s how to do it:
- Use the Safari web browser to visit Twitter.com.
- Tap the Share icon at the bottom and select “Add to Home Screen.”
- Confirm the installation by tapping “Install.”
The progressive web app will be installed on your iPhone, giving you a hassle-free Twitter experience without the rate limit restrictions.
6. Browse Twitter using Twitter Viewer
You can bypass the rate limit by using third-party Twitter apps or web services that allow you to browse Twitter without signing in to your account. Although Twitter acquired TweetDeck, it used to be one such service. You can still use TweetDeck on your favorite web browser by adding multiple columns and viewing them without encountering the rate limit error.
7. Create Another Twitter Account
If all else fails, consider creating another Twitter account. Since the rate limit is linked to individual accounts, creating a new one might give you a fresh start and allow you to check your feed without any restrictions. Keep in mind that new unverified accounts have a post rate limit of only 500.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions related to Twitter’s rate limit:
- Is the Twitter rate limit removed? No, the rate limit is still in effect. However, the company has increased the number of posts users can view. Verified users can now view up to 10,000 posts, unverified users can view up to 1,000 posts, and new unverified users have a limit of 500 posts.
- How do I get out of the rate limit on Twitter? We’ve provided several methods in this article to help you bypass the rate limit. One simple solution is to switch to a different platform, such as using Twitter’s web version instead of the app.
- Why was the rate limit implemented on Twitter? Twitter introduced the rate limit to detect and eliminate bots and other malicious actors that exploit the platform. It aims to prevent unauthorized scraping of public Twitter data and the manipulation of conversations on the platform.
- How do I know if I have reached my daily rate limit on Twitter? If you have hit the daily rate limit, you will encounter error messages like “Rate Limit exceeded” or “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this moment.”
- When does the Twitter Rate Limit reset? The rate limit for viewing posts resets every 24 hours. If you encounter an error while trying to view posts, you may need to wait a few hours or consider creating another Twitter account.
It’s worth noting that as long as you are not using bots or scraping public Twitter data, regular usage should not trigger the rate limit. The current limit of 1,000 daily posts for old unverified accounts is generally sufficient for casual use. However, if you need more freedom, platforms like Threads can provide an alternative without these restrictions.
Read also: How to See Who Viewed Your Twitter Profile
Make sure to give these methods a try and see which one works best for you. Happy tweeting without limits!