Are you tired of looking at unsightly data or empty columns in your Google Sheets? Well, you’re in luck! In this easy guide, we’ll show you the various ways you can hide columns in Google Sheets, making your spreadsheets more organized and visually appealing.
The Google Sheets Hide Columns Shortcut
If you’re a keyboard person like me who prefers using shortcuts, this method is perfect for you. To hide a column (or a range of columns) in Windows, simply select the column(s) and use the following shortcut:
CONTROL + ALT + 0
For macOS, use the following shortcut instead:
Command + Option + 0
When you use this shortcut, all the selected columns will magically disappear.
How to Hide Columns in Google Sheets With a Right-Click
Another quick method to hide columns in Google Sheets is by using a simple right-click. Just select the columns you want to hide, right-click on them, and choose the “Hide column(s)” option. Easy peasy!
Hide Unused Columns In Google Sheets
If you want to hide unused rows and columns in your Google Sheets, it’s a breeze. Here’s how you can do it:
- Select the first column next to the last used column. Click on the column header at the top to select the entire column.
- Hold the CONTROL and SHIFT keys and press the right-arrow key. This will select all the unused columns.
- Right-click on any of the selected columns and click on the “Hide Columns E-Z” option.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut
CONTROL + ALT + 0 to hide all the selected columns. The same methodology works for hiding unused rows as well.
Hiding Columns in Google Sheets With the Help Menu
Did you know that you can also hide columns using the help menu? It’s true! Just follow these steps:
- Highlight the columns you wish to hide in the headers.
- Navigate to the “Help” option in the Sheet menu.
- Type “hide” and press Enter.
Unhide Columns In Google Sheets
After hiding a column or a range of columns, you can easily bring them back with a single click. If you see small double-pointed arrows between the columns, it means there are hidden columns in between.
To unhide a column, simply click one of the arrow icons, and all the hidden columns will be revealed. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to unhide columns in Google Sheets.
In Windows, select the column(s) and use the shortcut:
CONTROL + Shift + 0
For macOS, use the following shortcut instead:
Command + Shift + 0
How to Hide Rows in Google Sheets
Everything we’ve discussed so far about hiding columns also applies to hiding rows in Google Sheets. To hide a row, just select it, right-click, and choose the “Hide row(s)” option. Don’t forget to hold the Ctrl key if you want to hide multiple rows.
How to Collapse Columns in Google Sheets Mobile
If you use the Google Sheets app on your Android or iOS device, you can also hide columns there. Here’s how:
- Open the Google Sheets document and select the worksheet where you want to hide the column.
- Tap the column header to select the entire column.
- Touch and hold the column header for a second. A menu with options will appear.
- Tap the three dots at the right of the menu.
- Select the “Hide Column” option, and the column will be hidden in the Google Sheets app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you master the art of hiding cells in Google Sheets:
How Do You Hide Columns in Google Sheets?
To hide columns, simply select the column header(s), right-click, and choose the “hide columns” option.
How Do You Hide Rows in Google Sheets?
Hiding rows in Google Sheets is a breeze. Just select the row header(s), right-click, and choose the “hide rows” option.
How Do I Hide Columns in Google Sheets for Certain Users?
To hide columns for certain users, protect the range before collapsing the column. This way, users will see that certain columns are hidden but won’t be able to unhide them.
How Do I Remove Infinite Columns in Google Sheets?
To remove excess rows and columns, simply delete them. Select the column you want to delete from, press
Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (Command instead of Ctrl for Macs), and either delete or hide the columns.
Can Viewers See Hidden Columns in Google Sheets?
No, only users with Edit or Owner access can view or change hidden rows.
Now that you’ve learned how to hide columns in Google Sheets, check out these related articles from Mr Reviews to further enhance your spreadsheet skills:
- How to Hide Zero Values in Google Sheets
- How to Filter By Color in Google Sheets
- How to Delete Empty Rows in Google Sheets
- How to Unhide Rows in Google Sheets
- How to Insert Multiple Columns in Google Sheets
Remember, a well-organized and visually pleasing Google Sheets document can make all the difference in your productivity. So go ahead, hide those columns like a pro!