The popularity of digital video continues to rise, making video accessibility a top priority. YouTube recognizes the importance of ensuring that everyone, regardless of their abilities or background, can understand the content. That’s why they have introduced the closed caption (CC) feature. Closed captions provide a visual display of the audio component in a video, transcribing not only the spoken words but also non-speech elements like background music and sound effects.
While closed captions are a valuable tool, they can sometimes be inconvenient due to inaccuracies resulting from the lack of standard pronunciations. If you’re finding closed captions to be a hindrance, let’s take a look at how you can turn them off on YouTube.
Closed Caption Settings
YouTube’s closed caption settings allow you to manually enable text overlays on videos using speech recognition technology. Here are some reasons why closed captions are considered one of the best features on YouTube:
- Convenient for people with disabilities: Closed captions make videos accessible to individuals with hearing impairments.
- Accommodates a wider audience: With closed captions, videos can be understood by non-native speakers or those in noisy environments.
- Complies with accessibility standards: Closed captions follow the WCAG 2.1 Accessibility Guidelines, ensuring inclusivity.
- Boosts SEO engagement: By increasing the reach of your videos, closed captions can improve your search engine optimization efforts.
How to Disable Closed Captions on YouTube TV
YouTube TV offers a convenient and reliable streaming service for watching live television on various devices. While it includes closed captions and subtitles, you may prefer to turn them off. Here’s how you can disable closed captions on YouTube TV:
YouTube TV on Chrome
- Open the YouTube app and log in to your account.
- Select the video you want to watch.
- Tap on the CC icon for Closed Captions.
- Toggle it off.
YouTube TV on Android App
- Open the YouTube app on your phone.
- Select the video you want to watch.
- Look for the CC icon when the video loads or go to the three-dot menu icon.
- Tap on the CC icon to turn it off.
YouTube TV on iPhone or iPad
- Tap on the three-dot menu icon once the show has loaded on YouTube TV.
- Tap on closed captions and select a CC track.
How to Disable Live Caption
Live Caption is a feature that transcribes audio in real-time, allowing captions to be generated for live streams as the dialogue unfolds on-screen.
To disable live captions for a specific video:
Simply tap on the CC icon at the bottom of the video, and this will turn off the Live Caption.
To disable live captions for all YouTube videos:
- Tap on the profile icon at the top of the screen and select the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Playback and Performance section on the settings panel.
- You will find options to disable live captions. To turn them off, uncheck the Always Show Captions option.
How to Disable Subtitles on YouTube Android
The subtitle feature on YouTube is beneficial for various purposes, such as tutorials or language learning. However, you may want to disable subtitles at times. Here’s how you can turn them off on YouTube through your Android device:
- Go to the YouTube app on your mobile and tap on the user icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select the Settings option from the menu.
- Tap on Captions.
- Tap the toggle switch to the left to turn off subtitles.
How to Disable Closed Captions on Android
Closed captions are available for all video-on-demand platforms, including Android devices. If you want to turn them off for certain videos, follow these steps:
- Start the VOD playback or live stream, and tap on the screen to bring up the player controls.
- Tap on the CC or Closed Caption button in the player menu.
- Select Off to remove captions.
Pro Tip: If you want to make any visual modifications to the appearance of Closed Captions, go to Settings.
FAQs: How to Disable Closed Captions on YouTube
Q: How do I get rid of subtitles?
A: To remove subtitles on YouTube, follow these steps:
- Open the video you want to stream.
- Click on the CC icon at the bottom of the video screen.
- From the closed-captioning menu, tap on the CC icon again.
Q: How do I get rid of live captions?
A: To disable live captions, follow these steps:
- Go to Account Settings.
- Move to the Playback and Performance section from the Settings menu.
- Uncheck the Always Show Captions option.
Q: Does YouTube TV have closed captioning?
A: Yes, YouTube TV offers a closed caption feature available on any device.
Q: How do I turn off subtitles on YouTube permanently?
A: Follow these steps to permanently turn off subtitles on YouTube:
- Go to your YouTube account’s Settings page.
- Click on Playback from the menu.
- Unselect Always Show Captions.
Q: How do you change subtitles on YouTube mobile?
A: To change the language of subtitles on YouTube mobile:
- Select More from the top-right corner of the video player.
- Click on Captions.
- Select the desired language.
Now that you’ve learned how to disable closed captions on YouTube, it should be an effortless task to enjoy videos without them. If you have any more questions related to this topic, feel free to write to us in the comments section!